The International Society for Feline Medicine (ISFM) is the veterinary division of
International Cat Care (www.icatcare.org), a charity dedicated to improving the health and welfare of cats worldwide.
We understand that there are unique difficulties in bringing a cat to a veterinary clinic:
• Cats often do not travel well and feel unsafe away from their home
• They are highly sensitive to new sights, sounds and smells
• Most cats prefer quiet and solitude and are highly susceptible to stress
• Most cats are highly stressed by nearby dogs in a vet clinic
• Cats need to be handled gently and with respect in the clinic
Cat Friendly Clinic standard important for vets …
The ISFM Cat Friendly Clinic scheme means that
accredited clinics have reached a higher standard of cat
care in that they:
• Understand the needs of cats and have made vet visits more cat-friendly
• Understand how to approach and handle cats gently and with care
• Have good knowledge and equipment to manage the care of cats
Achieving the Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation involves all staff, from
receptionists, nurses and technicians, through to vets. Each accredited clinic also has at least one ‘Cat Advocate’ – someone who ensures the cat friendly
standards are adhered to, and who would be happy to talk to you.
Cat Friendly Clinic standard … what does it mean for my cat and me?
An ISFM Cat Friendly Clinic gives you peace of mind and reassurance, letting you know that:
• The clinic has achieved certain minimum accreditation standards
• The clinic and clinic staff have thought about the specific needs of cats
• The staff will be happy to talk with you, show you what they do, and show you around the clinic
What are the different levels of ISFM Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation?
Cat Friendly Clinic (CFC) accreditation is at three levels – Bronze, Sliver and Gold. These recognise that vet
clinics vary widely in their size, location, structure, staffing and equipment. Full details of the requirements
can be found on our website – www.catfriendlyclinic.org – along with a list of our accredited clinics.
Staff at every accredited clinic have promised to handle and treat cats with understanding, gentleness and respect, and to make every effort to make the visit to the clinic as stress-free for you and your cat as possible.
If you have any questions or concerns about the your cat and the clinic, please ask a member of of the staff who will be pleased to help. Additionally, if you have concerns about any of the Cat Friendly Clinic criteria being met at the clinic, please ask to speak with the Cat Advocate. You can also let us know about the clinic you attend at www.catfriendlyclinic.org